Zillow’s data scientist, Laura Bretz, released a listing of the top 10 hottest housing markets for 2018 based on five variables from the largest U.S. metros:
- Zillow’s Home Value and rent Forecast, which forecasts the change in the Zillow Home Value Index (median home values) and Zillow Rent Index (median estimated rents) over the next 12 months.
- Recent income using Moody’s Analytics estimates from the Census Bureau.
- Population growth using ACS 2015 and 2016 one-year estimates.
- Current unemployment rates using Moody’s Analytics estimates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Local Area Unemployment Statistics.
- Number of jobs openings per person using data from Glassdoor.
With these combined variables, Zillow created a “hottness” score ranking the following markets:
1. San Jose, CA
2. Raleigh, NC
3. Seattle, WA
4. Charlotte, NC
5. San Francisco, CA
6. Austin, TX
7. Denver, CO
8. Nashville, TN
9. Portland, OR
10. Dallas, TX